Booksta Challenge: Stephen King
This post contains affiliate links, which means that we’ll earn
a small commission if you make a purchase through these links.
Stephen King Challengeš
Inspired by @evelovesbooks_travel_art.
I’d love to revisit this challenge in the future to see how my answers change based on additional books I’ve read.
First: Joyland. Also one of my favorite horror covers.
Favorite Book: It. My first read was this past December, and it was so much more than I ever imagined. A truly awe-inspiring ride. (review here)
Favorite Short Story: “Graveyard Shift” from Night Shift, a supremely creepy, gothic, grimy, riveting, and visceral account that left me wanting more in the best way. (review here)
Favorite Film Adaptation: The Shining. It’s Just. So. Good. It was also interesting to see the differences between the book and the movie.
Favorite Character: Tie between Annie Wilkes from Misery and Judson Crandall from Pet Sematary. Annie is the ultimate villain: brutal and unhinged, yet layered and human, while Jud is a comforting and funny, at times frightening and creepy linchpin whose role and knowledge are vital to the novel.
Favorite Audiobook: Tie between The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Christine, both of which are phenomenal on audio!
Scariest: Misery, which was so distressing and horrific, I could barely stand it.
Most Challenging: ’Salem’s Lot. I DNFed this one three times before finishing, and while it had many outstanding aspects, for some reason I struggled to stay engaged throughout.
Most Underrated: 1922. It’s completely horrific, unbearably gruesome, divinely gothic, and felt like a perfect story. The movie adaptation was so good it made me want to read the book (which, unsurprisingly, is even better).
Most Memorable Scene: The shower scene from Carrie, which makes me cringe every time I think about it!
Most Harrowing: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. The terror, discomfort, filth, darkness, and pain prevalent throughout were next level.
Most Surprising: Elevation, which was eerie, moving, and unsettling while also upbeat, mysterious, and cozy: a riveting and memorable story.
Titles I Have Yet to Read: So many, but three I’m hoping to get to next are Danse Macabre, 11/22/63, and The Stand.
What’s your favorite Stephen King book to date?
š¤Amanda
Disclaimer
Many books featured on this blog were purchased by us; however, we do accept publisher-, author-, and other source-provided copies (both advanced reader copies (ARCs) and finished copies) from publishers, authors, and other sources we deem to be a good fit for our reading preferences and blog. Posts and reviews that feature such copies are disclosed. For more information, refer to the Disclaimer & Disclosures section.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links, which means that when you click one of those links and make a purchase, we earn a small commission paid by the retailers, at no additional cost to you. These links will take you to books and other products that we like, trust, and believe will be beneficial to our readers. Affiliate programs use cookies to track visits in order to assign sale-related commissions; funds earned keep the Site up and running and allow us to continue to share reviews and other content. Thank you for your support!
















Comments
Post a Comment