Book Talk: On Special Editions
This post contains affiliate links, which means that we’ll earn
a small commission if you make a purchase through these links.
If you’re a bibliophile, you’ve likely heard of special edition books, which we’ll define as collectible-worthy, enhanced-quality editions released outside of normal publication that may feature embellishments such as decorative edges, bonus content, distinctive covers, fancy bindings, and limited quantities. I adore them, but only occasionally indulge, as when I love a book, I often purchase a copy, usually in my favorite format, a standard paperback. As a ravenous reader with a public library background, I'm naturally inclined to and heartily in favor of practicality and accessibility, but special editions are literal treasures and works of art, and few things bring more pleasure than beholding a beautiful volume. I value them as luxuries, masterpieces, and fantastic indulgences — and let’s be honest, if I could surround myself with a library full of them, I absolutely would! — but there are important points to consider when it comes to these exquisite specimens.
Cost and Budget
The first is cost: special editions can be pricey, and though budgets, priorities, and values vary and this is a 100% pro-book zone, practicality generally prevails for me, and I usually can’t justify spending more on a title I already own or, if I don’t own a copy, spending more on a version I could obtain for less and enjoy equally story wise.
Space and Condition
Shelf space is also a consideration. I only have so much room, so would I rather my library contains standard versions (more total volumes) or fewer titles, potentially with multiple copies of some? I can imagine, dear reader, that you’re yelling the obvious: Why don’t you opt for the special edition and skip the standard (which = one copy per book)? And I hear you, but in addition to the price point previously mentioned, enter another reader-specific idiosyncrasy: fear of ruining the special edition. I’m very particular about condition, and after terrible experiences years ago, I no longer lend books, and I handle mine carefully. For the same reasons, I also only borrow from my local public library (because that’s what it’s for!).
Usage and Purpose
Lighten up! Books are meant to be read and enjoyed, you might be mumbling. And yes, I hear you and agree, but my definition of enjoyment doesn’t involve battering my treasured tomes. In other words, I would prefer a trusty, comfortable paperback or hardcover I can relax with and savor that may get slightly damaged than an ornate version I’ll want to remain perfect, and that will make me anxious as a result. For me, special editions are typically more for display and admiration than actual reading or intellectual benefit, which brings us back to budget and shelf space.
Long and Short
So, have I purchased and cherished special editions? Yes. Will I buy more of them in the future? Absolutely. Will they remain untouched and unread for longer periods than other books? Most likely, as fear of ruination never expires. Do I inwardly cringe whenever I see a special edition that’s extremely expensive? Yup. And will I ever consider investing in one of these? Never say never! And will I make room for special volumes I adore? Always.
Examples and Wishlist
And now, let’s move on to some books! Below are three special editions I treasure, and that bring me joy:
- Dracula by Bram Stoker (DBS Press)
- Emma by Jane Austen (Chiltern Publishing)
- The Night Parade by Ronald Malfi (Cemetery Dance Publications)
And here are three all-time favorite titles I’d love to own in special edition form, were the versions right for me:
- NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
- The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Preference and Possibility
The moral of the story is that special editions, like anything else, are a matter of personal preference, and a wonderful possibility for booklovers to consider.
What are your thoughts on special editions, and what are some of your favorites?
🖤Amanda
Disclaimer
Many books featured on this blog were purchased by us; however, we do accept publisher-, author-, and other source-provided copies (both advanced reader copies (ARCs) and finished copies) from publishers, authors, and other sources we deem to be a good fit for our reading preferences and blog. Posts and reviews that feature such copies are disclosed. For more information, refer to the Disclaimer & Disclosures section.
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links, which means that when you click one of those links and make a purchase, we earn a small commission paid by the retailers, at no additional cost to you. These links will take you to books and other products that we like, trust, and believe will be beneficial to our readers. Affiliate programs use cookies to track visits in order to assign sale-related commissions; funds earned keep the Site up and running and allow us to continue to share reviews and other content. Thank you for your support!





Comments
Post a Comment